Sunday, September 16, 2012

Tie Dye Project

This weekend I stumbled upon a quick project...


Tie Dyes!!!


I went to get my hair highlighted on Saturday and ran into the Harvest Festival. The tie dyes caught my eye so I just had to stop. I intended to buy a couple for myself and Ireland, but the ladies from Parties2dye4 talked me into making my own. 
I've never made tie dye shirts before and thought that it would be really difficult. I had the easy part. The ladies there did the actual folding and rolling and rubber banding. I put the dye on the shirts. Then brought them home letting them sit in the bags for 6 hours. Then Ireland and I rinsed them out and threw them in the wash for 2 complete washes and then to dry. 


Ireland's design is a heart. I think it looks pretty cute.


I wanted the Classic Swirl


They turned out much better than I expected. I sure hope they don't fade too much. Anyone have any ideas for how to keep the colors vibrant? Every time I buy a tie dye they fade a lot. The ladies told me that they shouldn't fade. I hope they are right.

I might just have to try the entire process myself. I would love to have another shirt with pinks and purples or blues and greens.

Today I'll be working on the Pink Panda Pattern...been dragging my feet on that one;D

Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. They are so cute!!!! Did you try to soak them in vinegar? I have always heard that helps keep the color.

    Wishing you a wonderful day,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really smart to choose those colors. Looks so alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have done tie dye at home several times. Dharma Trading co. has a mail order catalog and website that sells TONS of supplies and i have used their kits with excellent results! they have kits of all sizes. I have had some of them for years and they have barely faded!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I will have to go there and buy some supplies.

      Delete
  4. I have tried the vinegar as well with colors that I didn't want to fade. I washed them in cold water, added a cup of white vinegar to the wash water, rinsed them twice in the machine, and then hung them up to dry. That keeps them from fading and shrinking. Cotton shrinks lengthwise instead of width wise, so hanging them up to dry allows the weight of the wet cotton to give a little bit of gravity to them while they dry. Then about once a month or so, I repeated the process. I hope this helps!

    How are you doing? I haven't heard from you in ages! Ireland is a real cutie pie! Where is the picture with you in it?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing well...just struggling through the homebuying process. Had a bump or two but hoping for a good outcome. I did not want to post my photo wearing the tie dye...I'm not as photogenic as Ireland. Still working on the bunny, I'll have her done one of these days:)

      Delete
  5. Hemroso blog!
    ya me visitarè todas tus entradas anteriores,
    besos.
    Lu - Mamà y crafter
    from Uruguay.

    ReplyDelete